2022 Quick Info
- The starting gate is at John F. Kennedy Drive east of Stow Lake Drive.
- 5K: 8 a.m.
Note: If you are running the 5K, you will need to start promptly at 8 a.m. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- 10K and Half Marathon: 8:10 a.m.
- All in the southwest corner of Golden Gate Park.
- 5K Finish: On Martin Luther King Drive, a block away from the Half Marathon finish.
- 10K and Half Marathon: On Bernice Rodgers Way, near Martin Luther King Drive.
- The 5K, 10K & San Francisco Half Marathon® are point to point with a net loss in altitude from the east end of Golden Gate Park to the far west end.
- The 5K is a fast, net downhill 3.1 mile course certified by USA Track & Field.
- The 10K is also a fast, net downhill course, 6.2 miles and USA Track & Field certified.
- The Half Marathon course will take runners out around the Panhandle, back through Golden Gate Park, and out and back on the Great Highway and finishes at the entrance to the Kaiser Permanente Health Expo.
- After 11 a.m., Half Marathon participants still on the course will be moved to the pedestrian pathway to finish the course (the finish line is open until noon).
All 3 courses are USATF certified.
- Half – CA11006TK
- 10K – CA18029DT
- 5K – CA15002TK
San Francisco Half Marathon® course elevation map
10K course elevation map
5K course elevation map
For Your Safety and the Safety of Others
- If you wear earphones, wear ones that allow you to hear your surroundings.
- No dogs, skates, bikes, scooters, etc. on the courses.
- Runners line up according to your minute-per-mile pace.
- Baby joggers and walkers, please line up at the back of the start corrals.
Think about booking a hotel. The Kimpton Alton Hotel at Fisherman’s Wharf will be the host hotel this year. As always, the host hotel offers a free race morning shuttle to the start and post-race shuttles back to the hotel. The offered room rate is $159.
During registration for your event you will have the opportunity to include an adaptive training program based on your fitness and the time you have to prepare for the distance you’ve chosen. Both complimentary and premium (your cost) coaching options will be available to you through our partners at Runcoach. Our goal is to provide you with a host of training options to meet you where you are in your running journey.
All stops will now have water and Nuun.
Half Marathon: Water and Nuun will be served at the start, at miles 1.5, 3.5, 4.5, 6, 8.4, 9.5, and 11.2.
10K: Water and Nuun will be served at miles 2.6, 4.1, and 5.5.
5K: Water and Nuun will be served at mile 1.4.
Course monitors will be located on the routes.
PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION OR CARPOOLING IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
For public transportation information, visit 511.org
Runners being dropped off near the start: The ideal place is Fulton Street at Park Presidio Blvd., at the “Rose Garden” entrance. Walk through the Rose Garden to JFK and the start will be to your right (west) on JFK.
Free pre-race shuttles
Pre-race shuttles to the start depart from 6 a.m. to 7:45 a.m.
- from Fulton Street and the Great Highway
- from the bus stop above the Cliff House
Free post-race shuttles
Post-race shuttles to the start area for the Concourse Underground Garage and to the parking lots above the Cliff House depart from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- from Fulton Street and the Great Highway
If you plan to use a Rideshare app to get to the start line, the drop-off location is set as Fulton Street and Park Presidio Blvd., at the entrance to Golden Gate Park on Park Presidio Bypass.
There are two finish line pick-up locations for rideshare users, depending on whether riders are heading north or south:
For riders heading north, pick up is located on the north side of Golden Gate Park at Fulton Street and the Great Highway.
For riders heading south, pick up is located on the south side of Golden Gate Park at Lincoln Way and La Playa Street.
Parking is LIMITED–car pooling and public transportation are highly recommended.
- Limited FREE parking at the Great Highway parking lot with bus shuttles to the start.
- Street parking north of the Great Highway parking lots (up to and above the Cliff House) with bus shuttles to the start.
- Parking near the start at the Concourse Underground Garage. Enter via tunnel from Fulton Street at 10th Avenue with post-race shuttles back to Fulton and 8th Ave. Garage parking rates will apply.
- DO NOT PARK IN BUSINESS PARKING LOTS (SAFEWAY OR BEACH CHALET) OR BLOCK DRIVEWAYS OR YOUR CAR MAY BE TICKETED AND/OR TOWED.
- Please keep all parking areas, paid or free, and all parts of the park clean and dispose of trash in proper receptacles. Do not leave valuables in plain view.
Valet Bicycle Parking
The SF Bicycle Coalition will provide complimentary bicycle parking services from 6:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The location is on the lawn at 47th & Fulton.
7:15 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Oak and Fell Streets will be closed from Broderick to Stanyan.
- Broderick, Baker, Masonic and Stanyan Streets will be closed between Page Street and Hayes Street (local access for residents will be allowed up to Fell or Oak).
- Use Divisadero for through traffic north or south
Golden Gate Park
- 6 to 9:30 a.m. — All park roads east of Transverse
- 6 to 11 a.m. — All park roads west of Transverse
- Use Crossover Drive for through traffic north or south
8 a.m. to noon
Full closure both directions on the Great Highway between Fulton St. and Skyline Blvd.
- Age division medals
- Long sleeve finisher race T-shirt pick-up
- Merchandise sales
- Sponsor product sampling
- Gear pick-up
A note about gear check
The race will provide a clear bag so you can check your belongings at the start (no valuables, please!). Race crew will transport gear to the finish line where you will pick it up. You must have your bib for pick-up.
Medical support will be overseen by the Kaiser Permanente medical team.
- There will be a medical tent staffed with trained emergency personnel at the start line, at the finish line and in the expo area of the event. There will also be medical staffing at various course aid stations.
- Ambulances will be located at the start line, on the course, at the finish line and in the expo area.
- There will be mobile medics roaming the course throughout the race.
- Medical personnel will be clearly visible, wearing a medical response uniform.
- If there is a medical need on the course, please let one of the course monitors or a volunteer at one of the aid stations know as soon as possible and they will call for medical assistance.
- Each participant is responsible for his or her own health insurance.
Whether this is your first race or just the latest of many, here's everything you need to gear up and get set to run.
Maximize aerobic benefit from your workout with our Target Heart Rate Calculator
Members: get a personalized Health Assessment to help you meet your goals.
Want personalized guidance to get healthier? We offer Health Coach Services to members and non-members. Make an appointment to get started.
Track your progress with the free Every Body Walk! App from Kaiser Permanente